Learn More, Get Involved

Please start by browsing information by using CONTENTS, LINKS, and CURRENT NEWS feeds at left.

Questions, comments, concerns, ideas? Have a personal story to share? Email me at nomoseclusion AT gmail DOT com.

A Weekend Interview with Phyllis Musumeci

Florida, January 24, 2009

Phyllis Musumeci is the founder of Florida Families Against Restraint and Seclusion.

Talk about why you were in Washington testifying before Congress.

Well, I went to Washington because my son was restrained in school and put in seclusion, and I didn't know about it. The seclusion I knew, but I didn't understand at the time what was really going on. They used to drag his desk out in the hall and leave him by himself. That was almost every day when he was in seventh grade. The restraining I didn't know about. My son's behaviors started changing. His personality started changing. ... He went from a happy little boy to a very unhappy, angry little boy and I didn't know what was going on. That happened over a period of time, like about one year. And so at the end of seventh grade, he just flipped out one day when I picked him up. ... I was scared.

Read the rest of the interview here.

*****

Copy and paste URL:
http://blogs.tampabay.com/schools/2009/01/a-weekend-int-3.html

No comments: